Tips To Choose the Right Demolition Contractor

In Demolition

Looking for a demolition contractor? Well, we appreciate your wise decision of handing over the task to a professional. But, with a number of major safety and environmental concerns associated with demolition, you can’t trust every demolition contractor out there.

The chaotic and disordered job calls for a great deal of planning and preparation.  From gaining permits to following safety codes, there is a lot to do before starting a demolishing project.

Hence it is essential to have the right demolition contractor with skill and expertise to meet all the safety and logistical aspects associated with the demolition of commercial and residential buildings.

Along with this, there are many aspects of a contractor’s qualities that you need to consider before going forward. Here are some effective tips that will lead your way to an efficient contractor for your demolition project.

Ask for an estimate

First of all, you need to ask for an estimate before deciding on a demolition contractor. It will make the process of comparing contractors a bit easier for you and also help you to narrow down your list.  Most of the contractors will give you an estimate for free and carefully look for the finer detail once you have an estimate. A right contractor will offer you a competitive price and great service.

Check if the company has a track record of completing projects on time

A timeline is an incredibly important factor for any demolition project. You may have a deadline for completing the new building, and you can’t start building until the demolition is finished. Check the company’s track record for finishing projects on time to make sure that they can meet up your timeline needs. So, ask for a timeline from a contractor, and you will know which ones are organized and progressive for the job at hand.

Look for the experienced one

Demolishing is a bit of complicated process that can unleash a whole host of potentially toxic substances. Hence, it is crucial to hire a commercial demolition contractor who is qualified to deal with such hazardous materials. The experience of contractors speaks volume about their knowledge and ability to handle the project.

Also, every demolition job is different, and hence it is wise to look for professional with years of experience in demolishing industry. You need to verify the experience before hiring the contractors by talking with past references of clients. Ask about how the demolition contractor acted in response to complaints of dust and noise pollution. Find out how they work and train their staff to deal with the demolition job effectively.

Check for any warnings, citations, or violations

Another sign of a good demolishing contractor is a good history of compliance.  Check whether the company has any warnings, citations, or violations of safety and environmental issue with local and federal authorities. If yes, just forbid the contractor and look for the one with a better compliance record.

Talk to the past clients

It becomes difficult to get who is reliable when everyone boasts of their quality and expertise. Speaking to the past clients is a great way to distinguish the wheat from the chaff. Ask their past clients about their experience with the contractor and out if they faced any major safety issue. Get to know whether they completed the project on time and budget.

Analyze the safety record

Commercial demolition can be extremely hazardous unless you have certified safety experts on site. You can be liable if anyone is injured on the site while the building is being torn down. So, it is very important to know whom you can trust, and a safety record will help you in deciding whether the company is reliable or not. The people and properties near the site are vulnerable to the hazards released during a demolition.  So, look for the demolition contractor with a good safety record.

Make sure the contractor is bonded, licensed and insured

Demolition is a perilous job, and that is why it’s essential for the workers to have the experience and training to carry it out safely. Hence, ask contractors for proof of license and insurance to protect yourself against liability. The demolition contractor that you are planning to hire must be bonded, licensed and insured.

Find out if they have updated equipment

Along with a well-trained crew, updated equipment is also crucial for demolition. Tools like concrete crushers and high-reach excavators, concrete crushers are imperative for any demolition work and should be provided by the demolition contractor. Furthermore, the crew should know how to operate the most advanced technologies on the job site.

Look out for whether they will provide clean-up services after demolition

Another key factor that you must look for while hiring a contractor is the cleanup service after demolition. Check the quotes that are drawn by the contractors to find out if it also includes the cleanup service.  It can be difficult for you to deal with the rubble and damage after demolition and having a contractor who provides this service will reduce your hassle.

Subcontracting

Some contractors prefer to do all the work themselves while others sub out some specialized parts of the job. Ask if the contractors you are planning to hire uses subcontractors. If yes, make sure to know what parts of the job will be handled by subcontractors.

Lastly, leave the work to the contractors

Accomplishing a demolition needs detailed and meticulous planning. So, instead of attempting to do it on your own, you should hire a responsible contractor. Planning the demolition permits and permission is something to be left to the contractor.

Wrapping Up

Each demolition project has its own challenge.  So, it is vital to select a contracting team that is confident enough to handle even the most complex demolition project. Make sure the demolishing professional you are hiring is well versed in the regulations related to demolition.

With these mind-blowing tips, you are sure to find the right demolition contractor for your next project. If you’re planning some demolition work, consider RJ Smith Demolition, a highly skilled demolition expert to get the job done in a right and hassle-free way.

Recent Posts
Showing 15 comments
  • Gerty Gift

I liked what you said about seeing if they will include clean-up services. My father-in-law is doing a major remodeling project on a house he owns. I think that it would be a good idea to find a demolition contractor who will offer this kind of service so that he can start working right after they’re done with their part of the job.

• Duncan Lance

I agree, experience should always be looked for when choosing a demolition contractor. After all, you want to make sure that they know how to safely and properly demolish property. It might even help to ask about their license and training before hiring them.

• Malia Davis

I love your idea to ask past clients if the contractor they chose finished their project on time and within budget. Doing that would help you really see how someone else’s experience went, and you may even be able to get tips on how to work best with the contractor. We need to get a demolition contractor to help us with a project we’re doing, so that is something I’ll definitely try. We are kind of in a hurry to get a contractor, but I know that taking the time to ask past clients will be worth it in the end.

• Rhianna Hawk

Checking to see if a company has a record of timely completions is a very good suggestion; I’ll be sure to have my boss ask the contractors about their anticipated timelines as you suggest. My workplace is moving to a new building and then having our current one rebuilt, so my boss will be looking into getting a demolition contractor soon. Maybe I can ask my boss if I can talk to past clients for him, as you suggest, to help with the process.

• Ellen Hughes

I like that you suggested talking to the past clients of the demolition contractor that you’re interested in to find out if they do have a good reputation of completing projects on time and budget. My husband is planning to hire a building demolition contractor. He said that he can’t afford to spend money more than what he can afford, so he’d like to find a building demolition contractor that can deliver timely results for building demolition projects.

• Ellen Hughes

I like that you pointed out how you should choose a demolition contractor that uses updated equipment on their demolition projects such as concrete crushers. My husband is planning to hire a contractor that offers concrete removal services. He said that he’d like to deal with a concrete removal company that can do the job fast because he’d like to save money on labor fees, so I’ll share your blog with him.

• Duncan Lance

These are some pretty great questions, especially the one about what kind of equipment the company uses. After all, you will want to make sure that they are handling the demolition in the quickest, most efficient way possible. Of course, you will also want to make sure that they are doing it as safely as possible as well.

• Glenn Walke

My wife and I have been talking about finding a contractor to help us because we want to start building onto our home to add a room for once our son is born, and it would be important for us to find one who we could trust will do a good job. I appreciated the tip that you gave to choose a contractor who is experienced. When we look for a contractor, I will be sure to look for one who has a good amount of experience.

• Drake Welsh

I love that you suggested to check the safety record of a contractor before you hire them. We are working on flipping a house, and we will need a contractor to help us with a lot of the aspects of the project. I will be sure to check their safety record before we hire them.

• jack stiles

I really love that you should consider hiring an experienced demolition contractor. I think that it would be a good way to determine the outcome of a project beforehand. My wife and I have been talking about finding a demolition service to help us with our old rusty shack, and it will be important for us to be able to trust in who we will choose to hire. When we look for a contractor, I will be sure to consider their experience level.

• rachel frampton

My husband plans to demolish a community for the new building that he’s planning to put up. I agree with you that asking for estimates before choosing a demolition contractor is a must. Also, we’ll keep in mind to check if the company has a timeline for completing the demolition project.

• Taylor Wright

I like how you mentioned analyzing their safety record since the properties nearby are vulnerable. My brother wants to demolish his current house since it’s old and falling apart this month. I’ll have to share this with him so he can find a reputable demolition company to do the job for him.

• charles walk

I love the tip that you gave to check to make sure that a contractor is properly insured, so you could be protected against liability. My wife and I have been wanting to find a contractor to help us take down our old shed, so we could build a new one. When we look for one, I will be sure to check their insurance status.

• Henry Killingsworth

You made a great point when you explained that it is important to find a demolition contractor that has a crew that knows how to operate advanced technology. My uncle has a barn on his property that he doesn’t use anymore, and he is thinking of tearing it down to clear space out for another project. I’ll be sure to share these tips with him so that he can find the right contractor to work with.

• britt wall

I appreciate the tip that you gave to consider the experience of a demolition contractor before we would hire them. I think that one who is more experienced will be able to help us best. My brother and I need to find a contractor to take down his old shed before we could build a new one, so we are on the search for the right one. I am going to check their experience before we choose to hire them.